Oven-Baked Fish and Chips
A delicious, Paleo [and Keto] variation, of the classic English pub delight, fish and chips, utilizing Bacon's Heir's Pork Panko [Pork Rind Breadcrumbs].
- 3 large red potatoes washed, dried, and sliced into 1/4 inch "chips"
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 dashes black pepper
- 3 ounces Bacon's Heir pork panko or 1/2 bag regular pork rinds [see note]
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound white fish ~4 fish fillets
Baked Potato Chips
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Place sliced potatoes in a mixing bowl and drizzle with EVOO. Sprinkle with sea salt and mix.
Place potatoes evenly on the sheet pan, avoiding slices from overlapping. Bake for 15 minutes.
While baking, move on to coating the fish.
Pat both sides of the fish with a paper towel. Place fish onto a cutting board and cut into 1 inch thick slices. Depending on your size preference, you may choose to cut the slices in half.
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, dijon mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper. In another bowl
Spread pork panko onto a plate and season with garlic powder, thyme leaves, and salt. Mix crumbs and seasoning.
Drench a slice of fish in the egg mixture. Raise the fish out of the mixture and allow excess egg to drip off. Place egg coated fish onto the pork rind crumbs. With a clean hand or utensil, spoon crumbs onto the top of the fish. Once the fish is mostly coated, flip it over in the pork rind crumbs and continue coating all of the fish. Place battered fish onto a parchment lined baking sheet.Continue this step for all of the fish slices.
At this point, the potatoes should be near complete. Remove from the oven and carefully flip each chip with a pair of tongs. Place both chips and fish into the oven with chips being on the lower rack and fish on top. Bake for an additional 20 minutes. When done, turn oven to "broil" and toast fish for 3 minutes.
Remove, plate, and serve with ranch or your favorite fish dipping sauce!
- For homemade Pork Rind Breadcrumbs, seal pork rinds into a gallon size plastic bag. With your hands, crush pork rinds into crumbs. This can also be achieved by placing rinds into a food processor and pulsing until the desired consistency.
- Be mindful of the pork rinds used. For best results, opt for products with the most minimal ingredients such as "Pork Skin" and "Salt".
- Whole30 Friends: Pork Rinds are classified as "chips" making them "off-limits". You can swap out the pork rinds for blanched almond flour.
- Keto Friends: Omit the "chips" and enjoy the fish for a keto-adapted version!