Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links will result in a small commission for me [at no extra cost for you], but all opinions are my own. You can find our full affiliate disclaimer here.
This Chicken Soup is liquid gold. It’s deep in flavor, protein packed, and will warm you in a minute! Finished with a pop of flavor, this chicken soup is bound to be your best kept secret and your friendly reminder of childhood.
Chicken soup is one of my most favorite soups out there. It’s a classic, of course! It also reminds me of my childhood and of Christmas. Mainly due to the Campbell commercial with the young boy, covered by a snowman, tracking melted snow into the house all the way to that steaming bowl of goodness. Chicken soup is warmth on a cold day, comfort when we’re under the weather, and.. a really good “go-to” for lunch prep and weeknight dinner. Plus, chicken soup is affordable. It’s budget friendly while packing a punch with the protein and all around wholesome ingredients.
What is chicken soup?
Chicken soup is a liquid base made from chicken simmered in water and flavored with various vegetables. Chicken soup can be spicy, noodle-y, and even rounded out with a little cream.
What makes this classic chicken soup so great?
Three things set this chicken soup apart from the others, noodles or not, here they are!
- The Broth: Let’s just get it out there in the open, flavorful broth is the key in all soups. This soup’s broth is deep in flavor from the already perfected Swanson brand and kicked up a notch with a little extra flavor from the fresh carrots, celery, and parsley.
- The Time: My favorite quote these days is “let’s not reinvent the wheel”. Sure, simmering a whole chicken all day is glorious but you know what, so is cracking the top off of an already perfected chicken stock located on aisle 28. We may save on time but it’s definitely earned back in the flavor.
- The Cost: Soup is one of the dishes that can go a long way in the budget. Coming in at roughly ~$16.00, this chicken soup serves 6 full size bowls at about $2.66 per serving.
What is the best chicken stock to use for this classic chicken soup?
We used Swanson Chicken Stock for this recipe! This is the stock we use to develop majority of our dishes. Soup or not, this chicken stock serves a great purpose in adding flavor to all types of dishes. Plus, it’s clean in ingredients, often on sale, and easily found in most grocers.
You may be tempted to use broth instead but I highly encourage chicken stock. Chicken broth is made from boiling the meat in water while stock includes the bones. With the bones included, the flavor yields a deep and richer return.
How to Make Classic Chicken Soup
Homemade Chicken soup is often a labor of love in regard to time and taste but do not fret, this chicken soup is easiest enough for even the first day “cook”!
- Prepare the vegetables. First, you’ll dice all of the vegetables. Then, cook them in an oiled pot until their raw edge is off.
- Add the stock. Pop the tops off the stock and pour the 8 cups into the pot.
- Cook the chicken. Add the chicken to the pot and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Shred the chicken. You can do this two different ways, in your stand mixer on low speed or on a cutting board with two forks. Once shredded, return the chicken to the soup.
- Add the parsley. Sprinkle in the chopped parsley and give it a stir. reduce the heat to low.
- Pop the flavor with a squeeze of lemon. Remember this for all your dishes. A squeeze of fresh lemon [or lime] can really pop your dish and bring all of the flavors together.
Can chicken soup be meal prepped?
You bet! This soup preps beautifully and will last in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. I recommend transferring it to a glass bowl or individual containers [like these] for lunches on the go. When you’re ready to eat it, reheat it the individual serving for about 1 minute in the microwave.
Can chicken soup be frozen?
Yes! To freeze, let the soup cool completely. Then, transfer it to individual containers, label them, and stack in the freezer. Chicken soup will store up to 6 months in the freezer. When you’re ready to dive in, remove the a serving from the freezer, slightly lift the lid, and microwave until heated through. If you plan in advance, transfer serving to the refrigerator over night.
Make Your Life Easier with Direct Shipping from Amazon
Classic Chicken Soup
- Option 1: Stand Mixer, for shredding chicken
- Option 2: Cutting board and 2 forks, for shredding chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 large carrots diced
- 5 stalks celery diced
- 8 cups store-bought chicken stock Swansons brand preferred
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 dashes black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 large lemon juiced
- In a medium to large stock pot, warm olive oil. Add onion and saute until the raw edge is gone, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, and celery. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add chicken stock to the pot followed by the spices. Bring to a simmer and add the whole chicken thighs to the stock. Cover and simmer until the chicken thighs are completely cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked through, reduce heat and transfer chicken to a stand mixer or cutting board with tongs. If using a stand mixer, paddle the chicken on a low speed until shredded. If shredding by hand, place chicken on a cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Return shredded chicken to the pot and add parsley. Continue simmering for another 2-3 minutes. Just before serving, squeeze fresh lemon juice into the soup.