This skillet sweet potato hash is my favorite base to build my breakfast around. It is the perfect amount of energy to kick start my day and when those bright yolks hit it, it’s a magical flavor combination.
We are rounding out our first week of the September Whole30 and let me tell you, we are kicking it. I still can not believe Caleb decided to join in. Having him be apart of the fun makes it not only easier, but it makes me feel like I’ve got a holistic battle buddy! Caleb has always enjoyed the recipes and he is by far the most pleased human anytime he is served food so the meals have never been the issue.
My main focus this week was getting “food on the table”. I spent the better half of Sunday and Monday prepping “head start ingredients”. If you’re new to this method, it’s simply prepping the base ingredients such as a protein, veggies, or sides that can be used in dinner’s throughout the week. Nothing grosses me out more than full meals prepped and sitting in the fridge so being able to spruce them up combats both the grossness and the monotony of eating the same thing over and over.
My prep day for this week consisted of:
We paired this potato hash with two eggs (soft boiled for me, over easy for him) for breakfast.
We used the already prepped chicken thighs in “spaghetti” (squash + marinara) and chicken taco kale salads.
With these items prepped and ready to go, dinner takes less time and less effort. This little hack is crucial for us when we have a busy week ahead or when we are taking on a new protocol, such as a Whole30.
Skillet Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 tablespoon fat (ghee, olive oil, or coconut oil)
- 5 cups sweet potatoes, cleaned and diced
- 1/2 medium purple onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, warm tablespoon of fat.
- To the warm pan, add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Gently toss the mixture to incorporate fat and seasonings. Continue cooking until potatoes are fork tender, lightly stirring every few minutes.
- Serve as the base for 2 eggs or a side at lunch or dinner.