Happy September Whole30!
Okay, let’s just go ahead and call it… This week is going to be tough. Cutting the most addictive additives to our food and focusing on bare-bone eating takes a toll on your body! The hangover is real and at some point, anything that can remind you of that comfort will seem like a kiss from the heavens!
These basic mashed potatoes do that for me. Ready to accompany any meal, I like to store them in the fridge and in all honesty… just eat them with a fork out of the container.
Not only are they great for comfort, they make a really great option when entertaining or accepting a dinner invitation. Pouring the last of the melted ghee over the potatoes before serving takes them from “just mashed potatoes” to “fancy mashed potatoes” and I am here for it!
Basic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds red potatoes, skin on and washed
- 2.5 tablespoons ghee
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 potato masher
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cool water about 2 inches above the potatoes. Add 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil on medium-high heat and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes by draining or using a slotted spoon and place them into a large bowl. With a potato masher, gently mash each potato breaking them.
- To the bowl, add 2 tablespoon ghee, coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Continue mashing the potatoes until you achieve your desired texture. From there, give the potatoes a final stir and serve with the last 1/2 tablespoon melted ghee.