What a wonderful weekend!
I spent it completely alone with the only human interaction being a woman I said “pardon me” to at Kroger. As much as I enjoy every weekend full of family, having a couple of “no humans allowed” days rocked.
Did you know that yesterday was National Dessert Day? There’s a day for everything.
Well, of course I had to partake and ended up laying in bed with the most intense headache and some pretty regretful tummy bloating.
Is it ever worth it?
I have had some serious “food freedom” days over the last 6 months and it’s time I really pull the bandaid off. Indulging in the things you choose to enjoy is one thing but the parameters I’ve set for myself have gone so 180º that I am essentially chronically miserable.
I know that I do not tolerate dairy. I haven’t tolerated it my entire life, yet here I am cheesing it up. Every few week’s I tell myself “it’s just the weekend! After our x day, I will be fine.” Well. I’m going to be fine because I am flat out pulling it. This whole “good paleo” Monday- Thursday bit with “food freedom” Friday- Sunday has got to go. The time it takes my body to bounce back from the queso, wheat beers, and cheesy football dishes is about how many day’s I give myself of wholesome food. It’s just not fun anymore.
Do you ever have those periods in time? How do you pull your food bandaid off?
Let me know below, I would love to hear all your tips and tricks!
This weeknight Italian meat sauce is a keeper and I know this because.. I come from a family that knows meat sauce. 12 hour meat sauce, to be exact.
Now, I am not cashing in my family’s spaghetti recipe, but I am sharing a simple meat sauce that will leave you feeling as if you spent all day simmering and blowing kisses into a big ‘ol stock pot.
Serve over your favorite pasta alternative such as spaghetti squash, veggie spirals, or simply grilled zucchini and squash. Let me know how it turns out and how you served it below!
Weeknight Italian Meat Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of a small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt + more to your liking
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper + more to your liking
- 1, 14.5 can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1, 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 big handful of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- Warm olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onions and garlic and continue cooking for about 2 minutes minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium- high. Add ground pork and season with Italian seasoning, oregano, fennel, salt, and pepper. Break up meat into smaller pieces as it browns. Stir to incorporate all seasonings.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, stirring to evenly combine flavors.
- Stir spinach into the mixture. Reduce heat and simmer for as long as available.
Note: The longer the sauce simmers, the greater the depth of flavor. However, it’s a weeknight so simmer that baby and get it on the table!
Estimated budget breakdown per my local Kroger Store at the time of publish, 10/15/2018, with the assumption spices and cooking fat will not need to be purchased.
Estimated cost of sauce: $7.32