It’s September 1st!
Ahh, it’s here!
One of my favorite times of the year is here! Which pretty much means Halloween is around the corner. I could not be any more excited.
If you’re unfamiliar with this national (psh, global) event, then I have you covered! Super simple and super easy– In September, people all around the globe participate in doing a Whole 30! It’s kind of the perfect time, at least for me.
Especially after the amount of Oberon’s I enjoyed this summer.
We’re coming off of the summer high and we’re headed into the most festive time of the year. It’s this time of the year when it all begins to fly. Our weekends are filled with football season traditions, then we’re celebrating our love with anniversaries, birthdays, the holidays, and then BOOM, it’s the new year. This annual September Whole 30 tradition is fun, it’s helpful, and it totally saves me from blinking into those 35 pounds January 1st (seriously though, that’s not a joke). It was two years ago around this time that I came across the Whole 30 movement. Naturally, I studied from afar and didn’t jump on board until March 2016 but hey, I’m here.
Okay, so what is the Whole 30?
Essentially it is a 30 day commitment to eat the most real and whole foods imaginable. It’s a commitment to learning where your food is coming from, what on earth it is made of, and how it affects your body.
I could totally outline it all for you but Melissa and her team do it much better. After all, it is her life’s work. You can read all about it here from essentially the Queen herself.
For information regarding the September Whole 30, specifically, you can visit this site.
If you would like to follow along, or join, come on with your bad self!
During this month, I plan on sharing our weekly menu and grocery lists along with tips and tricks I fall back on to ensure my personal success, somewhat similar to this post. This will include date night dining, social gatherings, Michigan Football Saturdays, and just the overall feels.
At this point, there is more than enough information available to help you get started without actually purchasing any of the books. However, I believe this would be a huge disservice. If you are up for only purchasing one, I would gravitate towards the Whole 30 Guide simply because it’ll give you the most “bang for your buck”. The first quarter-half is filled with content while the remainder include recipes to help you fly.
You will notice that there are multiple reads pertaining to the Whole 30.
- It Starts with Food— An absolute must read at some point in your life. This is the science behind the Whole 30, and it is incredible. Taking the time to understand the make up of food and it’s impact to your hormones, therefore your body, makes this reset 10x easier.
- The Whole 30 Guide— First quarter-half outlines the foundation of the Whole 30, the second half contains recipes and such.
- The Whole 30 Cookbook— Includes a condensed foundation in the beginning, followed by recipes from multiple resources and blogs. Emphasis on “condensed”.
- Food Freedom Forever— The life after you find your way with food and how to create your personal food freedom. This is one is still on my list of books to read. Hey, lets do it together one day!
Additionally, there are so many online resources available for compliant recipes. Note the word “compliant”. Understand noncompliant factors and I promise you will be golden. If you would like to take a peek at the content here on Wholesome Joy, listed below are 5 of my most visited Whole 30 recipes.
You can locate all other compliant Whole 30 recipes by using the category selection to the right. —>
- Classic Paleo Breakfast Casserole
- SB&T Morning Hash
- Chicken Fajita Skillet
- Citrus Carnitas
- Meat Lovers Pizza Casserole
Finally, YOU CAN DO IT.
You can do this all. You can drink your coffee black and your teas unsweet. Below is my favorite trick to jazzing up plain coffee.
Not Black Coffee
- 8 Ounces of Black Coffee
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Scoop of Collagen Peptides*
- ~2 Dashes of Pumpkin Spice Seasoning
*Optional but so frothy and recommended.
- Brew coffee as usual
- Blend remaining ingredients by blender or immersion for 5-10 seconds
- Pour into a coffee mug and top with a sprinkle of spice
Happy Whole 30-ing, love bugs!