This Tex-Mex enchilada sauce (chili gravy) is perfect for enchiladas, burritos, and more. This enchilada sauce is Whole30 compliant, keto-friendly, and beyond delicious!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links will result in a small commission for me [at no extra cost for you], but all opinions are my own. You can find our full affiliate disclaimer here.Jump to Recipe
Let’s Get Saucy with this Tex-Mex Enchilada Sauce
I mean, let get super saucy with this enchilada sauce! This sauce has completely rescued us in our Mexican food desires. I feel as if I can honestly count on one hand (and a half) as to how many time I have ordered something other than Ceviche or fajitas as my meal at a Mexican restaurant in the last year and a half. However, one of those treats was when I saw Enchiladas Al Carbon on the menu. I must have overlooked this gem my entire life because when I came across this on the 7 Leguas menu, I squealed. I just thought it was the most genius creation ever. It is chicken tacos AND enchiladas! MIND BLOWN. Of course now I realize it is on every Tex-Mex menu around but hey, it made me really happy.
Tex-Mex enchilada sauce is more than the traditional red enchilada sauce. Tex-Mex enchilada sauce is a chili-like gravy made with fat, flour, chili powder, other spices, and stock.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Coconut oil
- Almond flour
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Sea salt
- Tomato sauce
- Chicken stock
- White vinegar
How to Make Enchilada Sauce
- First, you’ll make the roux by whisking fat and flour together.
- Second, you’ll whisk in all of the dry seasoning.
- Once combined, add tomato sauce, chicken stock, and vinegar
- Simmer and continue whisking until gravy begins to darken in color and slightly thicken.
Recent Posts You May have Missed on Wholesome-Joy
- Western Whole30 Frittata
- Easy Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- Spring Arugula Salad with Lemon and Blueberries
- Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce
- Cajun Roasted Red Pepper Tilapia
The Best Ever Paleo & Keto Tex-Mex Enchilada Sauce
- 1 small saucepan
- Mason Jar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- In a medium saucepan on low-medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Whisk in almond flour.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and continue whisking.
- Whisk in tomato sauce, chicken stock, and vinegar. Continue to whisk until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Continue simmering until sauce darkens in color.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container, such as a mason jar.