Well hello my almost summer time peeps!
Friends, it’s May. Where is the time going? It’s insane to think back just 6 months ago to Caleb and I being freshly wedded.
Speaking of time, do you ever wake up, crawl to the bathroom, and gaze at yourself thinking “my goodness, I need a facelift.”?
Yes? You do? Well, I feel you. First off, that thought is dramatically ridiculous, and so fitting to my personality, but stop. Secondly, that is exactly what I thought of this weekend when I decided to make this casserole!
It needed a face lift, pronto!
Back in October when I finally took the first steps into creating this site, this recipe was my first thought. I don’t know why, but I am so proud of this little guy! I suppose it’s because in creating, I felt super accomplished as I was turning our favorite movie night “treat” into a version we could eat much more often than every few months. I believe this was the third post published to Wholesome Joy and at that time, I was not only taking photos late at night, I was using the Snapchat filters in my kitchen in attempt to make the quality somewhat presentable. Nonetheless, I still have so much to learn. Which is exciting because I feel as if we’re growing together.
Although this recipe highlights a meat lovers option, there are plenty of topping you can choose from. Follow the recipe to the tomato sauce and modify the remaining ingredients to fit your cravings!
I can not wait to hear your thoughts! As always, please comment below or feel free to send me an email with any topping recommendations you have!
Grain-Free Meat Lovers Pizza Casserole
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground Pork
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Red Bell Pepper, diced
- High quality Pepperoni, such as Applegate
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Onions, chopped
- Crushed Red Pepper
- 9×9 Casserole Dish
- 1 Large kitchen towel or cheesecloth to squeeze excess water from squash.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Place the cooked spaghetti squash in a large kitchen towel or cheesecloth. With your hands, squeeze and twist as much excess water out of the squash as possible.
- Place the squash in a 9×9 casserole dish and pat down with your hands to line the dish. Bake on your oven’s bottom rack for 15 minutes.
- While the squash is “firming” in the oven, begin browning the ground pork. In a large skillet, on medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the ground pork into the skillet and season with fennel, Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper, breaking the pork as it cooks.
- Once the squash time has ended, move the casserole dish to the top wrack and the turn the heat to “broil”. Continue cooking for 5 minutes. This will crisp the top of the squash allowing it to hold the pizza toppings.
- When the squash is finished, remove and begin assembling the casserole as you would a pizza. The order of assembly should resemble something like this:
- Top the squash with Nutrition Yeast, optional.
- Tomato sauce.
- The remaining toppings.
- Return casserole to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve with crushed red pepper an/or your favorite pizza sauces.
Editor’s note: This post was originally posted October 18, 2016. Since origination, this post has been revised in effort to provide content of greater quality.